Monday, June 14, 2010

Summertime

Our month of June so far has been exactly as I had hoped. We are staying busy but busy doing fun things and not running around from one event to another. It has been a nice break from the craziness that was the month of May!

The girls and I have played outside pretty much every day for the past week. It has been hot, hot, hot! Luckily our backyard has some nice big shady spots in the morning and we've been enjoying our little baby pool as well. It is nice to get out in the mornings because typically that means Samantha will take a really good afternoon nap and both girls go to bed without too much of a fight that night.

From My Little Sunbeams


From My Little Sunbeams


The girls have been enjoying a new to us cool treat - frozen yogurt pops. Samantha is incredibly messy with these so for now it is definitely strictly an outdoor treat!

From My Little Sunbeams

We've been enjoying picnics on our deck as well. We have a canopy/tent we use when we have parties but I wish we could keep it up all summer long to give us some shade on the deck. Picnics are a little bit of a challenge with Samantha as she likes to walk around with her food and put her sandwiches down anywhere but we're working on it.

From My Little Sunbeams

Both girls love the pool and as you can probably tell from a lot of the pool pictures the dogs enjoy it as well. Neither of them have jumped in yet and I don't expect they ever will but Mattie enjoys being splashed on and both dogs seem to think it is a giant outdoor water bowl. Samantha has finally decided she likes sand and the sandbox much to Gabrielle's delight. The sandbox is one of Gabrielle's favorite thing about being outside and she loves having a partner to play with now (until her castle is smashed and then she has issues with her play partner but we're working on that too). Oh, and notice the pool "toy" Gabrielle is playing with in the collage. Of all the water toys we have she played with the plastic baggie her grapes had been in more than any of the real toys!

From My Little Sunbeams

While the sandbox is Gabrielle's favorite, Samantha loves the swing and slide. Gabrielle enjoys these too but not quite as much as Samantha this year.

From My Little Sunbeams

From My Little Sunbeams

Gabrielle has loved the sprinkler as well and I think we would flood our entire yard before she was ready to turn the sprinkler off. Samantha absolutely does not like the sprinkler. I'm not sure if it is the temperature of the water or the unpredictability of the sprinkler but she clutches on to me and cries if I get too close to the sprinkler with her.

Yesterday afternoon I took the girls to the mall for Kidfest. Every 2nd and 4th Sunday this summer the mall is hosting a free event for families. They will have various entertainment, games and crafts. It was super hot yesterday but our a/c is not working right now and our house is super hot. After spending a miserable, sweaty, sticky day in the house on Saturday I decided if we're going to be hot we might as well be doing something fun. They had a fan blowing a mist of water which was a nice relief every now and then. We rode on a little train and Gabrielle made a bracelet and painted a dinosaur.

From My Little Sunbeams

Gabrielle spinning plates.

From My Little Sunbeams

And Gabrielle going down the big blow up slide - over and over and over! Fortunately for me it started to rain about five minutes before the event was to end so I was able to somewhat easily get Gabrielle off the slide and ready to go home.

This week will be a busy week for us but still a fun kind of busy for the most part. Vacation Bible school starts on Wednesday. I am going to try not to do too much during the day other than playing outside in the mornings because the nights will be very busy and later than our usual nights. I have a few errands to run so tomorrow might be a day spent in and out of the car. I'm still trying to decide how to spend today. Our high is expected to be 97!!!! and there is a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. I have my Bible study tonight which means early baths and dinner for the girls. I'm not sure whether we should brave the outdoors this morning or just spend the morning doing some fun activities inside. Ed brought home a window a/c unit that is giving us some relief from the heat until we can get someone here to look at our big unit. So maybe staying inside today is the way to go.

No comments: