Wednesday, March 21, 2012

An Artful Afternoon With Gabrielle

The girls woke up around 4:30 this morning so as I expected, Samantha fell asleep in the car on the way home from picking up Gabrielle. While this little one was sleeping,



Gabrielle wanted to do some painting and drawing and for the first time in a really long time I decided to sit down and do some artwork of my own.



Some of our work...


Gabrielle wanted to try her hand at portraits. The picture below is me wearing a crown.



I had hoped to find an art class for Gabrielle to take this summer but unless I want to drive into Raleigh every week for class, I'll have to wait until next year after she has been in kindergarten. I guess I can understand these places having their policies but it kind of irks me that although Gabrielle is 5 years old and only missed going to kindergarten this year by not even a full month, she can't take a lot of these summer camp classes. 

Anyway, once I realized no one was going to bend their rules, I decided to do some searching online for other resources and found a great book that a few homeschooling bloggers use with their kids. With the aid of that book, Gabrielle and I will be doing our own classes. The book discusses several great artists and their painting/drawing styles, followed up by step-by-step instructions of producing your own work in that style. I thought this would be good time for a field trip to the NC Museum of Art as well.

This plan probably works out better. With Gabrielle going to kindergarten next year and being in school all day, every day, this will give us some good quality time together.

1 comment:

Matt Guthrie said...

But I thought you were going to homeschool?