Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Leftover Chicken? Try This...


Looks delicious, doesn't it? I found this recipe in my January/February 2012 issue of Everyday Food and have been wanting to make it for a couple of weeks now. You'll find the recipe when you click the photo link above but I took a few shortcuts to make this a really simple, really quick meal tonight.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
  • cooked chicken ( I used some leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken we had for dinner on Sunday night)
  • vegetable oil
  • garlic (I used one clove, minced)
  • can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 - 15 oz. cans of chicken broth
  • corn tortillas
  • 1/2 avocado
  • shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
  • fresh cilantro leaves
  • lime 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile heat a little vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Cook the garlic until fragrant. Add the can of diced tomatoes (including the liquid) and the chili powder. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked out. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Last I added my shredded chicken and simmered until the chicken was warmed through.

While the soup is simmering slice your corn tortillas (I used 3 tortillas) into thin strips. Toss with a little oil and bake for about 8 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the strips are golden and crispy. To make this an even easier meal you could always use bagged Tortilla chips, especially if corn tortillas are not something you normally would buy.

Now serve. Scoop some soup and add your toppings. We had the tortillas, cheese, cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice but I'm thinking some sour cream might be good as well.

From start to finish this took me only about 15 minutes and was quite tasty! So the next time you have some leftover chicken maybe try this!!



No comments: