Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This Week

I'm sitting here enjoying some hot chocolate trying to catch up on blogging, emails, making to-do lists, to-buy lists, and to-bake lists for the next week or so. This time of year is so busy. When my mind starts getting frantic with thoughts of all I "need" to do I try to stop and remind myself to slow down and enjoy this time. But regardless of how much I try I tend to get wrapped up in the busyness of it all.

My new favorite flavor at Starbucks is the Peppermint Mocha so I thought why not add a little peppermint via a mini candy cane to my hot chocolate. It is delicious! I highly recommend trying it yourself!!

I guess this Christmas there will be no parades for us. We chose not to go to the Youngsville parade a couple of weeks ago because of cold wet weather. I had hoped we would make it to the Wake Forest parade this past Saturday but once again decided it was too cold to bother. Maybe the weather will cooperate more next year.

Last Saturday wasn't a complete bust however. We had dinner with a good friend of mine from high school and her family. Janie and I "reconnected" after years of not being in touch with one another via facebook last spring. When we started chatting we realized we were each due with our second child the same day! The more we chatted and caught up we realized our lives had even more similarities. Her firstborn, a little boy, was born in September of 2006, just a couple of weeks before Gabrielle. We both went past our due dates and had hoped we would end up in the hospital together. Our doctors apparently had different plans!! LOL Her little girl was born two days before Samantha.

So back to dinner... we went over to her house and we met each other's husbands for the first time. I think our husbands hit it off pretty good and our kids definitely did! I didn't get any photos of Will and Gabrielle but they were hilarious together. Here are Samantha and Avery chillin' together.

The last couple of days the girls and I were at my mom's visiting. It was a short notice and shorter visit than I would have liked but at least we got there! I finally got some gifts wrapped. Gabrielle was supposed to help since it was our Advent chain activity for the day but she wasn't too interested. She did wrap one of Ed's gifts with next to no help. I don't think it will take much for him to get into it!

You probably can't tell that well from this photo but Gabrielle piled about 4-5 gingerbread dolls my mom has onto her MeeMaw's lap and then squeezed herself onto it as well.

Tomorrow is an exciting day. It is parent's day at the dance studio which means we get to go inside Gabrielle's dance class to watch and even video her class. Ed is taking a couple of hours off in the morning so that he can attend as well. I know they have been practicing a little of "The Nutcracker" and I'm so excited to see her. Gabrielle's dance teacher had suggested a couple of versions of "The Nutcracker" for them to watch so they would have a better idea of what they were performing. I found one of the versions she recommended, "Barbie and the Nutcracker" at Walmart about a week and a half ago. Gabrielle wants to watch it everyday. She LOVES it! And now every time she hears the music whether it is playing in a store or in a commercial she stops what she is doing and starts dancing. It is so cute! After Gabrielle's performance we are going to have lunch with Ed - a very special treat for us (it's also our Advent chain activity for the day).

Samantha still isn't crawling up on hands and knees yet - surprisingly to me! But she is doing the army crawl thing quite a bit and is getting pretty quick. She also is no longer afraid of our Christmas tree and now is always getting into trouble around it. The other day she grabbed the tree skirt from under the tree and had rolled herself up in it. I'm telling you she is wild and into everything so much more than Gabrielle at this age. She is definitely keeping us on our toes!

Well I have work to do and more lists to obsessively complete and a couple of new books I'm dying to start reading so... Good Night!!

Oh - I had to add this photo. I just peeked in the girls' rooms and found Gabrielle all snuggled up with her doll Sammy. Sammy was her first real baby doll. She got her on her first birthday. She might go a week or so without playing with her but then all of sudden she will take Sammy around everywhere. And Sammy is definitely a no-no when it comes to sharing with anyone. Gabrielle is a very protective little "mommy."


1 comment:

Faith said...

Sammy looks scared!