Monday, April 19, 2010

Determination

This morning, completely out of the blue, while I was talking to my mom on the phone I watched Samantha pull up on the couch to a standing position, let go, fall down after a second or two and then pull back up again. She repeated this action over and over and over. It was hilarious to watch and surprising because only a few days ago no matter what I tried I could not get her to let go of her hold while she was standing.

I told myself I was not going to rush her to walk or even stand on her own. I knew she would do it in her own time and I also remembered how much more trouble Gabrielle was able to get into once she started walking.

Well today I guess was "her time." She continued to pull up and stand all morning long. Before I knew it she was even trying to step forward. By the time Ed got home from work Samantha was taking her first steps!!



Normally I would not let my girls hang around the house looking like this. It was right after dinner and she was getting ready to take a bath. She is a mess I know but I just couldn't wait to share the video!

I have laughed all day at Samantha's excitement and determination. An unfortunate side effect, however, is an extremely jealous big sister. Never before today have I seen Gabrielle act out so badly for attention. She gets excited to see Samantha stand and walk but after a few minutes she wants attention of her own as well. Unfortunately today she was misbehaving to get the attention. I know I have to be patient with her and do my best to give her some special attention while not taking anything away from Samantha. I am telling myself to take it one day at a time and do the best I can.

We are all still very excited and quite surprised with our little beginner walker!!

No comments: