Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week One - Me

* I started writing this post on Thursday. Then life got busy and I never got a chance to come back, edit and publish!


Today I have officially been on Weight Watchers for one week and I am very excited about the results so far. Last year I set a goal to lose about 20 pounds, some of which was baby weight from Samantha and some of it baby weight from Gabrielle that I was still carrying around. I did fairly well on my own, watching what I ate and exercising regularly. I lost 10 pounds last year but unfortunately gained about 5 pounds back over Christmas. All those cookies and snow days being stuck in the house are not good for a sweet tooth girl with little willpower. I really want to get this weight off and keep it off. Even though I did pretty good the beginning of last year on my own I decided to try Weight Watchers this year, hoping to get some new healthy recipes for my entire family and to get a new healthy perspective on eating a balanced diet without necessarily giving up completely all those foods I love.

Anyway, in my first week I lost 4.5 lbs!!! I know these results are not typical for week 2 and beyond but it makes me happy to have a good start at least. Not to mention now that I have lost my "Christmas weight" I am so much more comfy in my jeans. :)

I am also trying, again this year, to read through the Bible in its entirety. I started last January but once I fell behind I found it hard to get caught up and keep going. I am going into this year with a new game plan and new perspective. Last year for my birthday my sister gave me the One Year Chronological Bible. I am using that for my daily reading and also following along with Wendy Pope's blog/group. She posts video lessons Monday through Friday for each reading and then the hundreds (maybe even thousands?) of other women who are also following along post comments and discussions on the readings. I am keeping a daily journal of the things I learn from each reading as well. Already, just a little half way through January I have gained so much more this time around from my daily reading. Instead of my daily reading being just another item to mark off my to-do list it is something I look forward to doing.

The other thing that I think is going to help me this time around is taking Wendy's advice from the very beginning which is we are not striving for perfection but perseverance. "Life happens" as she says and there will probably be days in which getting my reading in will be impossible. That doesn't mean I should quit. Write down the day I missed and later, when I have time, I can go back to read it. The important thing is for me to keep going.

I have a list of about 23 books (so far) I want to read this year, a wide range of subjects and types. "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks, aka my fave author, was going to be the first on the list but then just a little over a week ago I heard about this book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I ordered it from Dayspring and received it yesterday. This afternoon I read chapter one and never, NEVER, has the first chapter of a book moved me the way this one did. There is no way my explanation of what this book is about would do it any kind of justice. If you haven't heard of this book go here or here or here to read about it.

The weather forecast for the next week for us is not looking that great - at least in my opinion. Maybe for those who love cold weather and snow and being stuck in a house for days with restless and hyperactive toddlers and preschoolers the weather forecast is a dream come true. But for me, personally, as one of the teacher assistants at Gabrielle's school so perfectly said "I'll be glad when I can complain about the hot weather!" Maybe if I can get my act together, I can figure out some fun art projects for the girls and some good inside games and activities and then tomorrow make sure we have all the necessary supplies. If I keep the girls happy and busy then maybe I can also get a few moments of peace and quiet to sit cozied up under a warm blanket with some hot tea or coffee, reading more of my books. And maybe, just maybe, we'll get through those couple of days being cooped up in the house with some fun, happy memories and not cabin fever.

No comments: