Tuesday, May 24, 2011

'Sew' in the Mood

The creative bug has hit and I have been in a serious mood to craft and sew. I decided to put that energy into end of year teacher gifts.



I made canvas totes and Gabrielle made bookmarks with her fingerprints and we included an Amazon gift card in with the card.





While we were at the fabric store last week picking out fabric for the totes the girls picked out some really cute, bright and fun prints that would make perfect sundresses or ruffled skirts. So while the creativity is flowing I am hoping to get back to the store and make some little coordinating summer outfits for the girls. They also picked out some adorable knit prints perfect for pajamas or nightgowns. Maybe that will be my next project.





I have made quite a few of these bags since I started sewing a few years back but it had been a while. I had forgotten just how quick and easy these bags come together. Once I had everything cut and ironed, from the time I sat down at the sewing machine, it took me only about 3 hours to get both bags done. Not too bad. And I loved how they turned out with the heavier cotton duck fabric and the webbing for straps. I really dislike turning fabric to make straps so when I remembered the webbing my mom had gotten me a few years ago it thrilled me that I didn't have to make fabric straps for the bags! I think the webbing straps will probably hold up longer and better anyway. I might have to pick up some more and make myself a bag for the summer. Do I need another tote? No, not really, but one can't really have too many bags. Can they?


No comments: