Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Little Ears Are Listening

Kids really do say the funniest things and they really do absorb everything they see and hear whether we realize it or not. There are a few times I have been surprised by something Gabrielle has said or done and I truly do not know where she picked it up but admittedly a lot that she imitates I have to take full responsibility for.

Samantha has now entered a screaming phase. She screams all the time. She screams when she is happy. She screams when she is mad. She is just loud - like head ache inducing, ears ringing loud. This morning while in her bouncy seat Samantha was screaming and talking. Gabrielle was trying to tell me she had to go potty. Once we got to the bathroom, a little further away from the noise Gabrielle looked at me and said, "Baby Samantha keeps screaming and I can't hear what you are saying!!" I cannot tell you how many times I have said something similar to Gabrielle when she is trying to talk to me during one of Samantha's fits. Then Gabrielle suggested, "Just give her a bottle of milk and make her quiet." She then proceeded to explain to me how to make the bottle, to shake it up and feed Samantha. I guess it has not taken her long to figure out the one thing that will always quiet her sister.

Having a new addition to our family has been an adjustment for all of us. The first couple of months were the hardest (so far anyway). Gabrielle was having to get used to not having all of the attention and I was trying to figure out how to give both of them the attention they each needed and wanted. It was only when I noticed how Gabrielle was playing with her baby dolls that I realized just what the poor little girl was having to deal with when it came to Momma. Yes, Gabrielle cradled her baby, fed, changed and burped her baby lovingly but when it came to her baby's sister (role played by me) she would repeat over and over "not right now", "in just a minute", "shhhh...you're gonna wake your sister." Man, did I feel guilty! Fortunately since then we have all adjusted better and I try not to always put Gabrielle's needs and wants second to her sister's.

No comments: