Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Be My Valentine


I admit it. Since becoming a mom I have a tendency to go overboard with most any holiday and occasion. I just can't help myself. This Valentine's Day was really no different.


I made heart shape chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Samantha, having the pickiest and strangest eating habits ever, ate one pancake and then declared she did not like chocolate chip pancakes. Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands in exasperation with her and food.

Samantha and I surprised Gabrielle with Chick-fil-a for lunch at school. She was happy to see us and it was nice to see her in the middle of the day.

Since Valentine's Day fell on a Thursday this year - the night the girls have dance class - we did not have our traditional "special" dinner. Instead I packed sandwiches for the girls, picked up McDonald's on the way home for Ed and treated myself to a {free} grande Starbuck's vanilla spice latte. (As I was going back to proofread this post I came to this realization - most of our celebrations revolve around food in some way!! Not sure what that means or if it is a good or a bag thing.)

When the girls and I got home from dance that night, Ed had surprised us all with flowers. He also had the other gifts and cards for the girls on the table waiting for them. 


Samantha fell asleep in the car and it was a struggle to get her awake enough to open her gift.  I need a video camera ready at all times when it comes to giving this child a gift. Her reaction is so genuine and one of absolute appreciation and true surprise. She may outgrow this trait someday but I hope not - it doesn't matter how big or small, Samantha will always make the gift giver feel like she is receiving the ultimate gift.

Samantha said she wanted a "big stuffed animal". When I saw this bear I thought it fit the bill. Samantha is somewhere behind her "Snuggly Wuggly" (who has kept her "safe" every night when she goes to sleep).


Gabrielle has a quieter reaction to all of her gifts but she loves and appreciates it just as much as her sister. She has asked for this heart pillow every year since she was 3 years old. Finally this was the year and she has slept with it every night since.


Gabrielle's teacher gave us parents some homework this Valentine's. She sent home a big heart with directions to decorate it anyway we would like to surprise our kids and show them how special they are. Ed and I had a lot of fun with this assignment. We decided to find some words we felt described G and glue them to her heart. It turned out exactly as I had envisioned and hopefully G felt special when she read it.


The girls had fun making Valentines too. Well, G had fun. Samantha got not quite half of hers done before she got bored and decided to watch Octonauts on Disney Junior instead. G is the one who takes after me in the arts & craft department for sure.
This is the Valentine G made her sister - with no prompting what so ever. I love these unexpected moments of sisterly love! (these moments unfortunately don't happen often enough around here)



And that concludes Valentine's Day at the Lingg household this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mother just loves your blog! And I think Gabrielle and Samantha are just so special (as are all of my grandchildren!!) I think they genuinely loved their gifts.