Monday, January 27, 2014

Food Bank Kids' Day

On Saturday a group from our church went to the Food Bank for a kids day mission project. We learned a little bit about how the food bank works - where the donations come from, who receives the food found there, etc. The kids seemed to have the general idea, giving answers to all of the coordinator's questions. I really liked how the coordinator explained to the kids what they meant as "people who are hungry." She asked them if they knew that feeling, sometime after breakfast but before lunch when your tummy is a little rumbly. The kids all confirmed they knew that feeling. She then explained that is not the type of hungry the food bank serves. The food bank is for people who don't know where or when their next meal will come from. Their refrigerators and cabinets are bare and they don't know when they will be able to get food.

Wow! I hope my girls were paying attention. Even though I knew the purpose of the food bank, to hear it put in those terms and really think about it is heartbreaking.

After learning about the food bank we were assigned our jobs. Our church group, as well as other individuals who came on their own, were given the job to bag up potatoes. There were about 6-7 huge crates of potatoes and we were to sort out the bad ones and bag up the good ones in about 10 lb. portions.

It was at times a dirty and yucky job but everyone seemed to enjoy it. Gabrielle even asked if we could go back another day. Yes!! Absolutely!! I would love for our family to do more hands on service projects for our community. While we donate to various causes when we can, I think a hands on, giving of your time, and even seeing face to face the people you are helping is so important. And I think it helps the girls understand - and even give me the reminder I need - just how blessed we are.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
  “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"
~ Matthew 25:35-40, NIV

No comments: